At Bell Lax, we have solicitors who are experienced specialists in acting for Claimants who have lost all or part of a limb as a result of an accident or medical negligence. If you would like to talk to a qualified legal expert call us on 0121 3550011, we are ready to help you, and we offer No Win No Fee agreements to our Personal Injury & Medical Negligence Clients.
Amputations or limb loss can occur from a source of accidents including:-
- Accidents at work
- Car Accident
- Cyclist or Motorbike Accident
- Slip or Trip
- Medical Negligence
If you are considering pursuing a claim for compensation for this life changing injury, there are many things that you need to consider when deciding which firm of solicitors you should instruct.
- It is vital that you choose a solicitor who is experienced in this type of claim. You might think that instructing a solicitor local to where you live is the most important factor, but if they are inexperienced in handling such cases, there is a risk that they may undervalue your claim. They may also not be able to arrange suitable prosthetics or aids and equipment for you and your home. We act for clients all over the country and we are happy to visit you at home, or any location of your choosing, at the start of, and throughout your claim. We will also visit you in hospital to assist with any queries you may have.
- The life changing impact of an amputation makes these types of claims very different from most other personal injury cases. A specialist solicitor understands these complexities and in particular, will have experience of how an amputation will affect you immediately after the accident and throughout the rest of your life. We are also able to identify and recommend the best and most experienced medical, prosthetic and occupational therapy experts who can prepare reports to assist you with your claim and assist in securing the necessary items to make your life easier.
- If you are considering pursuing a claim, we would recommend that you do so as soon as possible after the accident/incident. Rehabilitation after an accident or medical negligence resulting in an amputation is vitally important to achieving the best possible outcome from the injury. At Bell Lax, we aim to engage with the Defendant’s representatives at the earliest opportunity to establish high level privately funded rehabilitation for our clients. This will allow you to access better prostheses and equipment at a much earlier stage.
- In our experience, we find that these claims take on average around 4 years to conclude, but this can be longer. There are risks in trying to settle such claims too early. It is essential that you have detailed evidence on how the amputation will shape your future and what your future needs will be. Failing to do this is likely to lead to the under-settlement of your claim. We will seek interim payments for you so that you do not suffer financial hardship during your claim and so that you can purchase aids and equipment to assist your day to day living.
- These aids are likely to include high definition prostheses which not only assist with day to day living, but also have an improved cosmetic appearance. We will also seek suitable prostheses for your chosen hobbies to ensure you return to as much of your pre-accident lifestyle as you can. At Bell Lax, we understand that an amputation has both a significant psychological and physical impact on the person injured.
Our Commitment to You
At Bell Lax, we know that an amputation changes your life. We want to help you to get your life back on track and to ensure that you are provided for in the future. At the earliest possible stage we will seek to put in place case management and rehabilitation which will ensure your identified needs are dealt with. The goal is to help you to return to your pre-accident life as when you are first discharged from hospital this is a massive challenge. Our assistance extends to:
- Contact with local social services to check the extent of care and therapy being provided and to secure an increase where necessary;
- Checking the adequacy of your accommodation and considering whether adaptations should be sought;
- Considering whether we could find you further assistance through charities or support networks;
- Reviewing benefits to ensure you are receiving all social security payments to which you are entitled;
- Arranging expert help with setting up a personal injury trust which would safeguard your benefits when you receive interim payments or your final compensation settlement.
With the assistance of the very best experts in their fields, we will do all we can to help you to:
- Regain or maximise your independence and, if possible, return to work;
- Maximise your functionality;
- Develop coping mechanisms;
- Overcome social issues or enhance self-confidence;
- Meet any other goals that you or your family set.
We will also of course, secure fair and just compensation for you which will ensure you are provided for in the future. Where appropriate, this might be a lump sum together with index-linked annual payments for a set period, or for life.
At Bell Lax, you are our priority and a qualified lawyer who is experienced in amputation claims will deal with your claim throughout.
We have assisted clients with:
- Upper limb loss or partial amputation, including, hand, fingers, thumb, arm & elbow
- Lower limb loss including, foot, toe, leg and knee amputations
We successfully recovered over £170,000 for a client who suffered a severe crushing accident resulting in a severed arm, and surgery for limb re-attachment.
Call Bell Lax today on 0121 355 0011 and ask to speak directly to the Head of our Personal Injury Department, Stuart Andrews, if you think we may be able to help you.