I cannot express enough how grateful I am for the help and compassion shown by Natalie throughout my experience with Bell Lax. Would recommend to all.
I enjoy adopting a thorough and strategic approach to claims with an obsessive eye for detail. I provide sound commercial and pragmatic advice to enable clients to reach swift settlement of their dispute.
Approachable but professional.
Natalie joined Bell Lax in July 2007 where she has trained and qualified as a solicitor. Natalie also sits part time as a Deputy District Judge dealing with civil claims.
Natalie specialises in construction litigation, contract disputes and professional negligence claims.
Natalie’s construction claims include:
- An adjudication against a national housebuilding company after a subcontractor was wrongly thrown off site. Following a without prejudice meeting, Natalie successfully negotiated the subcontractor’s return to site and compensation for the loss of profits incurred;
- Both successful bringing and resisting adjudications in relation to failures to serve pay less notices correctly;
- Successfully defending a main contractor in relation to an adjudication alleging over £1 million of defects to a hotel refurbishment;
- Bringing a series of adjudications against a subcontractor in respect of defective installation of lifts across three separate sites
- Obtaining an injunction to restrain the presentation of a winding up petition following an inappropriately served statutory demand;
- Obtaining a six figure settlement for a main contractor in an arbitration against an architect for professional negligence in respect of subcontracted designs under a JCT design and build contract.
- A High Court claim against a firm of architects in relation to their failure to design a housing development in accordance with the planning permission granted, leading to a delay in the building works;
- A High Court claim against a national building company in relation to water ingress into a city centre apartment causing damp and mould due to inadequate drainage, waterproofing and flashing to the balcony.
Other claims that Natalie has successfully acted in include:
- A six figure insurance dispute in relation to damage caused to a commercial premises following a fire at an adjoining building;
- Acting for a minority shareholder in an accountancy practice to negotiate an exit from the firm, negotiation of the valuation of their shareholding and advising on the effect of their restrictive covenants upon their future business;
- Numerous professional negligence claims against solicitors for:
- Missing limitation dates;
- Incorrectly advising on the strengths of a claim;
- Failing to correctly identify the boundaries of land purchased; and
- Failing to give appropriate funding advice.
- A professional negligence claim against a firm of accountants whereby their negligent tax advice upon the dissolution of a company led to additional tax liabilities for the two directors and shareholders in excess of £150,000;
- A dispute between neighbouring plots of land whereby one plot of land was developed in breach of restrictive covenants to contain multiple dwelling houses;
- A claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 where a cohabitee and her children were insufficiently provided for under the Intestacy Rules; and
- A claim for negligent misstatement following provision of inaccurate and misleading employment references.
Medical Negligence Expertise.
Natalie’s clinical negligence cases, the majority of which are funded by way of “no win, no fee” agreements, include delayed diagnoses of cancer and cauda equina syndrome (ie compression of spinal nerve roots); claims for negligent care, including where such care results in pressure sores; negligent cosmetic surgery; inappropriate and deficient dental treatment and negligent surgery.
Examples of Natalie’s recent successful cases include:
- Representing a client where the hospital obtained consent for one operation and then actually completed a different operation. As a consequence of the operation, the client subsequently experienced problems with incontinence. Natalie managed to obtain a payment of £90,000 for her client;
- Successfully recovering damages of £10,000 where a Hospital Trust failed to prescribe the correct medication to prevent a transplant patient developing Hepatitis following receipt of an infected organ;
- Obtaining damages for a client whose dentist recommended dental implants despite her unsuitability for the implants, leading to pain and recurrent infections;
- Recovering damages for a client who became infected after a swab was left inside her after she was sewn up following the birth of her child; and
- Negotiating settlement of a claim against a Hospital Trust for negligent failures in their post-operative monitoring, which had led to the client suffering a heart attack and acute anaemia.
Natalie's client have said:-
"I cannot express enough how grateful I am for the help and compassion shown by Natalie throughout my experience with Bell Lax. Would recommend to all".
"I was very happy with the way the claim was dealt with and the regular communication I received".
"What I liked was I could always get in touch with Natalie and speak to her. Some solicitors you can never get them. She was helpful and had a good sense of humour, approachable, but also very professional, I liked that".
"Very good communication was provided throughout my case, and regular updates provided meant that I always felt up to date with new developments".
"I don't believe you need to make any improvements to your services, it been to the highest standard possible, and I would recommend you highly".
"Natalie has always been supportive to myself and my family. She's talked up through the whole process and has always been available to speak to and answered efficiently and effectively at all times. We would recommend this company to anyone else who has been let down or neglected in any way".
"Fantastic service, thank you Natalie and the team"
Outside work Natalie enjoys going to the theatre, baking lovely cakes and making terrible art with her two children..