“After researching the firm and speaking with the Directors, it became clear that the lawyers at Bell Lax were friendly and approachable, but a powerful and effective legal team. I joined Bell Lax because I wanted to be trained by litigation specialists.”
I could not have selected a better company. Straight to the point, informed every step of the way with a positive result. Thank you.
Mr Paul Broom - Dudley
George read Law with French at Bangor University. This included a year studying French Law at the University of Toulouse. He graduated from Bangor University in 2015 with a First Class Honours Degree. He then studied the Legal Practice Course at BPP Law School in Birmingham, obtaining a Distinction. He qualified as a Solicitor with Bell Lax in 2019, and is a key member of our commercial dispute resolution team.
Since the start of his legal career, George has specialised exclusively in dispute resolution, and has significant experience in many areas of commercial and civil litigation. This gives him an edge which many solicitors at the early stage of their career do not have.
Examples of his more recent work include:
- He has been engaged in numerous high value construction adjudications, including the entirely successful defence of a £1.2million adjudication concerning a large hotel project in central London. The Referring Party argued that our client’s work was significantly defective, and sought to recover the sum of £1.2 million from our client in damages. We successfully argued that it was the design (which was not our client’s responsibility) and not the works, which were at fault.
- George is also currently involved in the enforcement of a £1.5 million adjudication award in favour of one of our large construction clients. After the Referring Party failed to obtain the result they wanted, and subsequently refused to pay the adjudication award, George had significant involvement in applying to the Technology and Construction Court to obtain an order for Summary Judgment enforcing the adjudication award. This was again successful, and involved various technical legal arguments on recent construction case law.
- George has also assisted in successfully disputing a Winding up Petition on behalf of one of our clients in a complex case in the Insolvency Courts.
- He has taken the lead on a number of high value cases concerning the Consumer Rights Act 2015, and has at present a 100% success rate in achieving satisfactory out of court settlements for his clients in such cases.
- George has developed a particular interest in contentious probate cases, and has assisted senior lawyers in negotiating high value settlements on behalf of clients. George enjoys the satisfaction of assisting clients in what can often be emotionally charged circumstances and is committed to developing his skills in this area.
- He has developed a particular interest in property disputes, both commercial and residential. He is keen to assist tenants who are facing significant and sometimes excessive dilapidations claims from commercial landlords and has acted successfully on such cases in the past. He has considerable expertise advising and representing landlords who wish to take possession of their property from a tenant.
- George has also been involved in domestic construction disputes on behalf of both contractors and customers. In one particular case, George pursued a Counterclaim on behalf of a customer whose significant double storey extension was largely defective. The contractors claim for unpaid invoices was unsuccessful, George having argued that the variations formed part of the original contract works. The dispute ultimately settled the week before trial, entirely in favour of our client.
- He was involved in appealing a liquidator’s decision and pursuing a £140,000 claim on behalf of a Bell Lax client in a significant and complex insolvency case.
- George also has experience obtaining court orders to enforce a Final Decision of the Financial Ombudsman. This is an unusual application to make with various hurdles to overcome and George successfully obtained a court order on behalf of our clients.
- George recently successfully knocked out multiple adjudication attempts on behalf of a client on the basis of jurisdictional grounds alone. The Referring Party were ultimately persuaded not to pursue the claim having being unable to overcome the legal hurdles which George argued.
- George regularly appears in Court in Chambers or at Case Management Hearings. He once successfully attended an appeal hearing on behalf of one our clients.
Outside work, George enjoys keeping fit and the great outdoors. He got married shortly before joining Bell Lax in 2016, and has a young daughter. He is a member of the Lawyer’s Christian Fellowship, and is on the board of Trustees of his local church.
"I can't thank you enough George. You are a True Professional".
“The professionalism of George Gwynn was excellent.”
“Always available and highly professional.”
“Professional and courteous at all times.”
“I could not have selected better representation.”
“Your help has been fantastic.”